4.03.2014

When the doctor tells you "It's Cancer"

I don't think I will ever forget that moment. Standing in the middle of Target and reading a text from my dear friend Alyssa that said "It's Cancer". I was stunned, overwhelmed, angry, saddened all in one moment. My text back to her read "Nooooo Alyssa, NO!"

It could NOT BE TRUE. This was NOT TRUE. This tiny, four month old precious baby of my dear friends could not have cancer. There had to be a mistake. It could not be. We were just there last night in his hospital room, playing cards with his parents. It had to be wrong.

But, it was. Cancer.  

In those moments standing in Target with tears streaming down my face so many thoughts came at once, rushing my mind and clouding my ability to even be rational.

"Can he fight this?" 
"What if he dies?" 

"How do we minister to this family?"
"God, what should we be doing?" 

"How is this true?" 
"This is not fair!!" 
"God, WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?!" 

Learning how to minister to a hurting family. Learning how to cope with real life problems and struggles and grief over what was and what could be. 

I would have never guessed that their story would be what it is today.  We are almost six weeks from the day Landon and his family checked into the hospital. Since that time Landon has had a kidney removed, brain surgery, a shunt put in and a feeding tube placed inside his belly. Today he underwent his second round of chemotherapy- which is outpatient! Praise the Lord. He is the strongest baby I have ever known! With the prayers of many saints behind him Landon in conquering this battle step by step, day by day. 

He is a miracle. 

His story is everywhere and spreading like wildfire. Support from people that their family has never even met. Incredible. Our God is not dead. He is alive. He works miracles every day. He hears the prayers of his people. He works in the midst of tragedy. 

I told Alyssa that day of the diagnosis that God had a plan for this baby- and He does and each day we get to see a little more of what that plan is. There is a long, long road ahead of this family and we are blessed to be a part of his story. 







No comments:

Post a Comment